The UMaT School of Railways and Infrastructure Development Essikado, Sekondi-Takoradi, was established following the signing of Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on Tuesday, 15th May, 2018, between the Ministry of Railways Development (MRD) and the University of Mines and Technology (UMaT), Tarkwa to develop the Railway Training School (RTS) into an accredited institution of higher learning for the award of certificates and diplomas. The collaboration is also aimed at transforming the RTS into a degree awarding institution in the future.
The School aims to help complement efforts of the Ministry of Railways Development and Ghana Railways Company Limited in the development of manpower for the railways sector and allied industries and also ensure the sustainable development of the railways sector.
The School currently offers seven four-year BSc programmes in:
- Geomatic Engineering
- Geological Engineering
- Environmental and Safety Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
All students offering these programmes as part of their studies, are to take at least two compulsory courses in the following: Introduction to Railways Engineering; Signaling and Telecommunication; Locomotive Engineering; Rail Planning and Operations.
One year weekend Certificate programmes being offered include:
- Certificate in Survey and Mapping
- Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety
- Certificate in Electrical Technology
- Certificate in Geotechnical Technology
- Certificate in Plant and Maintenance
- Certificate in Water Resources
- Certificate in Geological Assistantship
- Certificate in Environmental Studies
- Certificate in Drilling Fluids Technology
- Certificate in Oil Well Cementing Technology
- Certificate in Natural Gas Technology
- Certificate in Reservoir Management
There are currently 242 undergraduate students studying various programmes in the School. The first batch of undergraduate students were matriculated on 27th February, 2021.
The number of academic staff in the School is currently 18 and these are highly qualified, motivated and with industrial experience. They are therefore able to blend theoretical knowledge with professional practice when presenting their lectures.